[Market-farming] Using Epsom Salt on Solanaceous Crops

Crnerblitz at aol.com Crnerblitz at aol.com
Wed Jun 11 16:50:13 EDT 2008

I'm no expert but I use 1 tablespoon Epsom salts per gallon of water at
transplanting, first flowering, and fruit set in a foliar spray on my tomatoes and
peppers. The plants love it and reward me with higher yeilds.

The main reason why I prefer "foliar" epsom feeding over "in the hole" can be
found at this link.

_http://www.doityourself.com/stry/fertilizeepsomsalts_
(http://www.doityourself.com/stry/fertilizeepsomsalts)

>>>SNIP-IT

Soils with a pH above 7 and soils high in calcium and potassium also
generally have low magnesium levels. Calcium and potassium compete with magnesium for
uptake by plant roots, and magnesium often loses. Sometimes, a soil test will
show adequate magnesium levels in soil, but a plant grown in that soil may
still be deficient because of that competition.

In a message dated 6/11/2008 12:01:56 PM Central Daylight Time,