[Market-farming] Wire deer guards

Diana Jancek dijaan at charter.net
Wed Jun 18 10:36:45 EDT 2008

I've been using this wire fencing for years now. The moms are teaching
the fawns (with skinnier noses!) to reach into the cage, they even step
into them to get at what they want. I actually ran two of them back into
the woods behind my field last night. Way too tame. Everything I've ever
tried; dog hair, Irish spring soap hung on the fence, two plastic deer
fences about 10 feet apart, it all works for awhile until they figure it
out. Once my dog spooked a bunch of them who were inside the fence and
they bolted through it got caught up in it and dragged it 200 feet into
the woods!
Now to make matters worse, the farmer who used to grow beans about a
half mile from me is planting corn these last years. I always counted on
the deer leaving my plants alone once the beans came up, but no more.
I'm thinking maybe when the war is over and Blackwater Security doesn't
have work anymore I could hire a few of them.......(Eric Prince lives
just down the road a piece).
Diana/West coast of Michigan/zone 5-6ish