[Market-farming] Sweet Potatoes and deer

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Sun Jun 15 14:54:46 EDT 2008

On Jun 15, 2008, at 12:09 PM, Allan Balliett wrote:

> I've read, probably in ads, that Alaskan fish products repell deer,
> but other fish may not. I know from experience that Organic Gem does
> NOT repell deer. Can anyone vouch for Alaskan fish (emulsion?)?
> Thanks -Allan who want's to put up a Premeir deer fence but who ain't
> going to do that until the damned eggplants get in the ground! (maybe
> Monday! ;-) -Allan in WV

Saltwater Farms fish emulsion/seaweed mix (from Maine) has some effect
here. I can't vouch for it under heavy deer pressure; but then, I'm not
sure anything works if/when there are a lot of deer who can't find
anything else to eat. A nice cover crop elsewhere that you don't mind
them munching on might reduce the pressure some.

The Organic Gem website claims it does repel deer for some; so maybe
you have strange deer who like fish (I have mice here who love hot
peppers); or maybe you have very heavy deer pressure.