[Market-farming] transporting fresh cut basil

Roots Farm & Karen Sutherland rootsfarm at cwdom.dm
Thu Jun 12 14:08:32 EDT 2008

Here in the tropics, we raise 15-20 types of basil.  On the day before
market, we wash/cool basil by swishing it through clean cool water,
gently shake it dry, then place it to "crisp" in a covered basin in a
shady place until ready to bag.  A few hours later it should be dry and
hydrated and we bag into plastic bags that are then placed into our
crates out of sun.  At market next day, those kept in the shade last all
day and then keep well for another week in the fridge.  Those displayed
on the table are good until the sun hits, then they start to sweat and
we need to poke holes in the bags and keep shifting them to be under the
umbrella's shade as the sun moves.  They get a little wilty eventually
and we replace display bags with fresh ones.

Best wishes to all,

Karen Sutherland

Roots Farm

Organic Produce