[Market-farming] New Chicks

Shawnee Flowerfarmer farmingflowers at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 2 20:41:53 EDT 2008

I agree with advice below.....and if the chicks can access the heat lamp when necessary, they pretty much adjust to everything except predators.  (And yes, it is a goofy mess to have them in the house for a while. Been there/done that/have the Tee shirt)  My Uncle Dean always started his chicks on buttermilk...put in a shallow pan next to the water dish.  I do this also, although I have no science to back up the practice, just a respect for the man's country ways.  Shawnee zone 5 and missing the chick drama this year.

I let my chicks out at 3 weeks.  As long as it's nice weather, they have some shade and are out of the wind, I think they will be fine.Pat Rupiper <arupiper at bright.net> wrote:

Does anyone know how soon we should start letting the little chicks onto some grass (in a very protected run) for a few minutes? I read somewhere that they would adapt better for free ranging if you started them young. Thanks Pat (zone 6) Ohio_______________________________________________Market-farming mailing listMarket-farming at lists.ibiblio.orghttp://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/market-farmingJoyce Paski Swamp Creek Farm, Zone 3