[Market-farming] Blackberry Problem

TxBeeFarmer TxBeeFarmer at HotPop.com
Mon Jun 2 06:54:43 EDT 2008

I've read about blackberry fertilizer requirements.  Most recommend somewhere around 200 lbs. of actual Nitrogen per acre.  I have 1/10 acre of berries, so I should put 20 lbs.  It's also recommended that the N be spread over the year with most of it before and during bloom but tapering off as Fall approaches.

The Phosphorus in the bone meal really sounds like a good idea to me.  I'm going to try that as soon as I can find a good source.  Not sure what the Peat is supposed to do though.  Anyone know?

Yes, blackberries grow in the wild around here, although not much.  I don't have any other brambles.  Cold isn't usually a problem here, but heat might be.  I've never heard of heat causing problems though.

Thanks
TxBeeFarmer (Mark)
West Texas Zone 7b
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Glen Eco Farm
  To: Market Farming
  Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2008 4:14 PM
  Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Blackberry Problem

  Yes, I too have seen too much leaf/plant growth and not that much fruiting with too much nitrogen.  If this is the problem, though, I don't think normal blooming would be occurring.
  Blackberries do like an acid soil; so bark mulch or leaves is great for blackberries.
  Does any one else in your area grow blackberries successfully?  Do blackberries grow in the wild?
  Do you grow other brambles?
  Could temperature be a problem?
  Since you have bees, I assume that no chemicals like Sevin is in the air?
   I still don't know why my cranberry bush doesn't fruit either.
  Perhaps I should try the bone meal and bark mulch on it.
  Curious,
  Christine