[Market-farming] tomato storage

Kate Halstead rockyprairie at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 27 13:26:46 EDT 2008

Just a note on hydro-cooling tomatoes, especially in light of recent
paranoias regarding food safety. If there is temperature differential of
more than 10 degrees between the water and the tomatoes, they will actually
suck in water (and anything in it...salmonella, etc.) in through the stem
end. Unfortunately, it's much safer to cool them the old-fashioned way ( in
a cooler) and then wash them if it's necessary. I learned this in a recent
farm food safety seminar.

Probably not practical for all, but what about harvesting in the very early
morning while the tomatoes are at their coolest?

Kate
Monroe, WA

  _____