[Market-farming] tomato storage

cjmaness at juno.com cjmaness at juno.com
Sun Jul 27 10:39:14 EDT 2008

We don't have a perfect system by any means. We pick, not at the breaker stage, but a little more mature than that. We wash them, which really helps to remove the field heat, and then store in our house. As they reach full maturity, we move them to our walk in cooler. I taste, taste, taste, and cooling them hasn't affected the flavor. We still have some loss, but it's the best we can do right now. I don't really like having boxes of tomatoes stacked all over my living room either...
Carla
Perkins, OK