[Market-farming] Harmony Herbicide how long lasting is it

Richard Robinson rrobinson at nasw.org
Mon Jul 21 10:46:55 EDT 2008

 On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 22:17:20 -0400, Andy Fellenz wrote:
> A local supplier of wheat straw has a reasonable price on his small bales but
> mentioned that he used Harmony as a post-emergent herbicide this spring.  I
> use straw mulches with several of my hoophouse crops - tomatoes, peppers,
> eggplant, cucumbers, melons and am wondering if I should have any concern
> about residue from the spring application affecting my crops.  Normally, I
> wouldn't even be asking this question, but after reading about the problems
> english gardeners have been having with manure from animals which ate forages
> treating with aminopyralid.
> (http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/jun/29/food.agriculture).  I
> figure I better that I better ask.

Here is some manufacturer's info on the product.

http://www2.dupont.com/Production_Agriculture/en_US/assets/downloads/pdfs/K-05825.pdf

They say there is no next-season restriction on crops planted, indicating no residual effect at that point. But I think that's different than your situation--any herbicide residue on the wheat is tightly packed into bales, away from the elements, and may not break down much further once in there. Personally, i'd be wary.

 --
 Richard Robinson
 http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/