[Market-farming] Dressing ideas for bitter summer lettuce(?)

Paul Wiediger wiediger at windstream.net
Fri Jul 18 07:22:17 EDT 2008

Allen,

No dressing will make bitter lettuce taste good, but a nice vinaigrette will
help if the bitterness is not extreme.  We have found that lettuce gets
bitter here in the summer heat regardless of moisture levels.  We even tried
growing it in a float bed one summer - can't get much more even moisture
than that! We've also tried shade - just made it grow taller, but it still
got bitter.

Jericho is better than any other we have tried - and we have tried dozens.
But, it only stays nice for about 2 weeks.  So if we want good, sweet
lettuce for the entire summer, we have to be seeding/transplanting every two
weeks.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm