[Market-farming] mulching - wood splitter

Richard Robinson rrobinson at nasw.org
Mon Jul 14 08:34:36 EDT 2008

 On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 05:24:36 -0700, sunnfarm at netscape.com wrote:

> What is a good "ton" splitting force and hydraulic capacity to look for in a
> log splitter. What do you think of the splitters sold by Northern...

I have been using a 22-ton Northern for a year, and love it. I haven't found anything it can't split, including thick elm. I can't imagine needing anything more powerful, unless i was burning rocks. Their slip-on 4-way wedge does not fit the 22-ton splitter. I bought the optional wings to make a 4-way wedge, but returned them unused. They bolt on, meaning you won't be able to get them on and off with each new log. But I don't miss them much--the machine is fast, and the bottleneck is how fast I can stack what I've split, not how fast I can split it. Customer service from Northern was excellent.

 --
 Richard Robinson
 http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/