[Market-farming] sizing up brassicas

lucy Owsley boulderbelt at voyager.net
Wed Jul 9 08:06:19 EDT 2008

i an having the same problem with broccoli. the plants look great but
the heads are not doing what they should. they start out looking nice
than suddenly they bolt and we do not get nice dome shaped heads. We
have planted 3 kinds of broccoli and this has happened to all 3
types. the last stuff i harvested was growing leaves in the curds
which i have never seen before with broccoli but happens to us
commonly with cauliflower. I noticed in the past 2 weeks several
other vendors at the saturday market I attend are having the same
problem. earlier they all had super nice heads but now it all seems
to be bolting.

So i have no answers but it is interesting this does not seem to be
limited to SW/WC Ohio
On Jul 9, 2008, at 8:00 AM, Ploughshare wrote:

> I'm wondering why our brassicas aren't sizing up this year.  The
> plants look
> great.. they've been well taken care of, watered, etc.  In
> addition, this
> year it seems like it would have been a perfect one for
> brassicas... we had
> a cool spring.    I know it's difficult to diagnose, but wondering
> if there
> are any nutrients that I may be missing that would affect the size
> of our
> broccoli, cauliflower and even our kohlrabi heads this year?
> PS--I planted onions in the field the year before.  Do I remember
> reading
> something about onions affect the size of brassicas or is it the
> other way
> around?
> --gary
> Central MN