[Market-farming] Mulch Question and Request for Advice

Willie McKemie mf at austinfarm.org
Thu Jul 3 10:14:37 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 02:52:56PM -0500, mcoldiron wrote:

> As mentioned in my original post, I have plenty of elm and mesquite wood
> available for mulching.  Anyone know of a good pto chipper that will handle
> about 10" logs?  Also need a good splitter.

I haven't seen a PTO chipper that will do 10" wood.  I have a PTO
chipper I bought maybe 15 years ago to chip peach prunings.  Used it
one season and decided it was much easier to shred the prunings in
windrows between the peach tree rows.  I did once rent a self powered
chipper that was MUCH easier to use because it had powered feed.

My chipper is available; it's been sitting in the barn for more than 10
years.  I think it's rated for 3" wood.  Cost about $1700, as I recall.
Make an offer.  I wouldn't want to fool with crating it for shipping.
I'm near Austin.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime  201 days  3 hours 06 minutes