[Market-farming] Equipment for pruning large fruit trees

lucy Owsley boulderbelt at voyager.net
Fri Aug 29 07:13:44 EDT 2008

we have several large fruit trees that my husband deals with using a
combination of loppers and saws on long poles, ladders and pruning
saws and loppers not on long poles. All of the equipment we have
gotten used at auctions and have no particular preference in brands.
you also will need either a cherry picker (very very expensive) or a
fruit picker on a 12' pole to get at the tops of the trees (oh and
again the ladder). we have 2 apple trees and a Kieffer pear that are
too tall (over 35') for anyone to get the top fruit so it gets left
every year. the trees came with the farm and all were in terrible
shape-no pruning or harvesting for at least the past 10 years. This
year the pear has beautiful fruit and the apples should have decent
fruit in another 2 to 3 years

I feel the real solution is to get a chain saw and "prune" the tree
about 12" above the roots and plant dwarf/semi dwarf trees that we
can deal with properly.

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Eco-Farm
Eaton, OH