[Market-farming] Equipment for pruning large fruit trees

Willie McKemie mf at austinfarm.org
Fri Aug 29 07:03:45 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 10:16:01PM -0400, Glen Eco Farm wrote:
> I would be interested in hearing from those with experience using the various types of tree pruning equipment., what kind of featues to look for and which ones to avoid.

In years past, I've used pneumatic pruners, powered by compressed gas,
on peach trees.  I used them not so much for their reach but for their
labor saving.  The longest ones I have are about 6 feet; they are most
comfortable when the controls are held at about waist level.  That is,
the 6 foot ones are good for cuts of 8-10 foot height.  One problem for
high cuts is that you can not make near horizontal cuts.

It is difficult to operate an air compressor at the needed pressures.
I used CO2 cylinders from a welding gas supplier.  Nitrogen is another,
probably more expensive, option.  A dive shop might be able to fill big
cylinders with air.  I used cylinders about 4 or 5 feet long and hauled
them around on a flat bed truck.  I used 50-100 feet of hose between
the cylinder and pruner.

I did extensive peach pruning each year.  I've never pruned pears other
than to remove broken limbs and hangers.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime  257 days 23 hours 45 minutes