[Market-farming] Farm names

lucy Owsley boulderbelt at voyager.net
Wed Aug 27 15:39:07 EDT 2008

My farm's name is Boulder Belt Eco-Farm (used to be Boulder Belt
Gardens when we were small than Boulder Belt organics when we were
certified organic). The term Boulder belt describes the geology of
the area-lots of eratics (boulders) left behind by the last
glaciation. the name is unique, alliterative and since it is high in
the alphabet comes up early on lists.

The drawback is the word "Boulder" in the name. Apparently lots of
people assume that Boulder, CO has some sort of monopoly on boulders
and if Boulder is in you farm name you must be from Colorado. I have
gotten many many phone calls from people in CO looking for all sorts
of things from chicken feed to expert testimony over chicken fighting
and are very disappointed to hear that the farm is 2500 miles from
them. It also says volumes about reading comprehension as I put in
big letters on every page of my web site and blog that Boulder Belt
is located in Eaton, OH.

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Eco-Farm
Eaton, OH