[Market-farming] Pesticide resistance

Richard Robinson rrobinson at nasw.org
Wed Aug 27 09:52:39 EDT 2008

 On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 22:44:19 -0500, Shawnee Flowerfarmer wrote:
>> That said, I discovered this morning that my rutabagas are history...
>>
>> --So....what happened to the rutabagas?  Come on...what's the rest of the
>> story?

Having had terrible problems with a striped cabbage caterpillar destroying my big fat rutabagas last year, this year I kept them under row cover from birth, and checked on them periodically until they were 6 inches tall or so, then ignored them until yesterday. They are infested with aphids, which have killed most of them and crippled the rest. I expect I excluded aphid predators...so much for the complex ecosystem! No great loss, since these are only in the kitchen garden, and I am not a huge rutabaga fan, but it does seem terribly unfair nonetheless.

 --
 Richard Robinson
 http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/