[Market-farming] 5. (no subject) (Jason Jones)

Ploughshare gjbrever at midwestinfo.net
Mon Aug 25 13:59:33 EDT 2008

An ideal chisel plow would be one that would "lift" the soil a bit.  This
affect helps feed the deeper levels of the soil with air, water, nutrients,
and organism, allowing the roots of the following crops to reap the
benefits..  They do not work well for incorporating crops into the soil.  We
use our chisel plow in the fall after we have disced down a crop.  In the
spring we also use our disc to incorporate the cover crops.  With rye we may
have to disc 3 times and it may take 3 weeks to fully break down enough to
be able to plant the next crop.
--Gary Brever
www.plougsharefarm.com