[Market-farming] Edamame

cjmaness at juno.com cjmaness at juno.com
Sat Aug 23 21:11:08 EDT 2008

OK, I asked about Edamame, and I thought I'd let those who are interested know how we did. I picked them Friday night. Used pruners to cut the plant off at the ground. Picked about 3 bushels fairly quick. Brought them in the house and started pulling beans off plants. Took hours. But, not too bad. Probably had a bushel of sale-able beans. Some pods not filled out, some had yellowed, some the critters had chewed on, etc...
Sold out. $3.00 a pint and we sold out. The seed was more expensive than what we are used to paying, but we didn't put them on drip and sort of left them to fend for themselves. So, as far as growing, very easy. The only tedious labor was in pulling the beans off and sort of making a mess in the house, but, it beat the heck out of being outside in the 95+ heat.
We did several plantings so I'm anxious to see if this was a one hit wonder or if sales will hold. At any rate, it was nice to have something different at market when our sales are typical sagging.
Carla
Perkins, OK