[Market-farming] Naming the gardens...

jjburroughs at msn.com jjburroughs at msn.com
Sat Aug 23 11:07:45 EDT 2008

In answer to both Beth and Marcy, I want everything! :) Isn't that only right? :) Something more memorable and recognizable I suppose would be the best for us.

Hearing these stories is great, makes me think maybe I don't have to get it "right" the first time.

Jaime at "no name" farm

From: lists at rhomestead.comTo: market-farming at lists.ibiblio.orgDate: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 22:26:25 -0400Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Naming the gardens...

What is your goal in a name? Is it easy name recognition/remembrance? Or is it to send a message?

“Beth’s Garden” would be a much better marketing name than “Rehoboth Homestead”. I wanted a Biblical name for several reasons, and picked “Rehoboth”. I chose “Homestead” because we are smaller than many folks think of as a “farm” (I worked with dairy farmers before farming on my own), but most people call it “Rehoboth Farm”.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead
Peru NY
http://rhomestead.com

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used." - Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Frances Moore Lappe

From: market-farming-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org [mailto:market-farming-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of jjburroughs at msn.comSent: Friday, August 22, 2008 9:46 PMTo: Market FarmingSubject: [Market-farming] Naming the gardens...

In trying to name our farm, we've created dozens of lists, then crossed them all out again; thought we'd settled on something, tried it out, then the next felt it was too cheezy. Can anyone give insight into how you named your places? We could really use some inspiration. Jaime, in sunny CA

From: SaladG at aol.comDate: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 21:18:20 -0400To: market-farming at lists.ibiblio.orgSubject: Re: [Market-farming] Fun thoughts

The one peice of equipment that we will not do without is our waterwheel transplanter, it has saved us so much time that you really can't put a price on it.  Our small greenhouse, 24 by 36, has enabled us to start all of our transplants all season long, about 80,000 a year but not all at once.  We start it up in late Febuary with our early starts and we are still starting flats this week for fall sales. A hoop building works good for some early stuff at the first part of the markets when no one else has some of these crops.  We use our building for early lettuce beds and spinach, chard,beets,radishes,and the list goes on for early May sales at farmers markets.  Did potatoes this year, worked pretty good but a couple of other vendors did the same so the price wasn't quite as good.

After 30 years in the business i think our single biggest problem is still handling weeds. It is one problem that has always been around this place and I really haven't solved the problem.  A year like this one where it rained every day of the week for 3 months weed really have done well.  We use no chemicals for weeds and I'm about to give in to using them, we have too many messes this year.  Now our ground is so hard that it will take a good freeze to get it workable, it has not rained for almost two months.  Drip is working overtime to keep things a going.

Phil from Iowa