[Market-farming] Fun thoughts

SaladG at aol.com SaladG at aol.com
Fri Aug 22 21:18:20 EDT 2008

The one peice of equipment that we will not do without is our waterwheel
transplanter, it has saved us so much time that you really can't put a price on
it.  Our small greenhouse, 24 by 36, has enabled us to start all of our
transplants all season long, about 80,000 a year but not all at once.  We start it up
in late Febuary with our early starts and we are still starting flats this
week for fall sales. A hoop building works good for some early stuff at the first
part of the markets when no one else has some of these crops.  We use our
building for early lettuce beds and spinach, chard,beets,radishes,and the list
goes on for early May sales at farmers markets.  Did potatoes this year, worked
pretty good but a couple of other vendors did the same so the price wasn't
quite as good.

After 30 years in the business i think our single biggest problem is still
handling weeds. It is one problem that has always been around this place and I
really haven't solved the problem.  A year like this one where it rained every
day of the week for 3 months weed really have done well.  We use no chemicals
for weeds and I'm about to give in to using them, we have too many messes this
year.  Now our ground is so hard that it will take a good freeze to get it
workable, it has not rained for almost two months.  Drip is working overtime to
keep things a going.

Phil from Iowa

deal here.