[Market-farming] parsnips words of caution

Pat Meadows pat at meadows.pair.com
Wed Aug 20 11:34:54 EDT 2008

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 08:27:56 -0400, you wrote:

>I wonder if parsnips are related to Hogweed, a non-native species
>from Europe that looks like queen Anne's lace on major steroids-the
>plants can get 10' high and the roots go down a minimum of 4' and
>usually 10'+. If you get the sap of this stuff on your skin it causes
>2nd degree burns if exposed to sunlight within 24 hours of exposure
>to the sap.

I've never seen Giant Hogweed, and I hope I never do.  It's an almost
unbelievably awful plant - like something from a horror movie, almost.

My husband is British, and he had a little experience with it in the UK. He
was then in grad school (chemistry) so he had access to some strong acid,
and killed the Giant Hogweed with the acid.  I think it was sulfuric acid.

Pat
-- northern Pennsylvania
Website:  www.meadows.pair.com/articleindex.html