[Market-farming] parsnips words of caution

Ploughshare gjbrever at midwestinfo.net
Tue Aug 19 13:52:18 EDT 2008

Last week our interns were weeding in a bed of parsnips in the middle of the
day.  A couple days later they had a rash all over their arms along with
blisters.  I did not know this before, but parsnips have the same properties
as wild parsnips and the oils will interact with the sun causing this
reaction.  Pass it along so that no one else has to learn by trial by fire
on this one
   I guess if you are going to weed and thin larger parnsip plants it's best
to wait until the middle of the night and then wash thoroughly afterwards.
--gary brever