[Market-farming] bitter chard/sunfloweres

Kim Martin ki_martin at mindspring.com
Fri Aug 15 20:01:52 EDT 2008

At 12:21 PM 8/15/2008, you wrote:

>Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:53:41 -0400
>From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson at nasw.org>
>Subject: [Market-farming] sunflower varieties
>To: <market-farming at lists.ibiblio.org>
>
>I notice on Kim's web page (http://www.barkingcatfarm.com) what look
>like short, single-head sunflowers growing up through net supports.
>Kim, can you tell me what variety those are, and how long the stems
>are? Is the netting to keep them from falling over? I sell some
>sunflowers and gladioluses, and would like to get more serious about
>choosing winning varieties. Stem length seems to be a major
>difference among them--my initial successes have come with very tall
>plants, with multiple 24-30" floral stems. Any other varietal
>suggestions out there?
>
>  --
>  Richard Robinson
>  http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/

First, regards to the list! I have enjoyed following the discussions
for a few years. And thank you to Kim Travis - I'll be pulling out
the bitter chard.

Richard, the sunflowers on our home page are a variety called Pro-cut
Bi-Color from the Pro-Cut series. Depending on how well you fertilize
them and how closely you space them, they can reach 4'+ easily (12"
spacing). And yes, the netting is to keep them from falling over.
It's Hortonova 6"x6".  Our area is especially windy so netting is
required for sunflowers, snapdragons, some celosias - basically
anything that would lodge. Other sunflower varieties commonly grown
for cuts are the Sunrich series and Sun series. To get shorter stems,
we just space them closer to together instead of planting a shorter
type. All the series I mention above are singles (but they will grow
sideshoots) and pollenless.

Kim

Kim Martin
Barking Cat Farm