[Market-farming] Hot weather crop suggestion/chard bitter question

Kim Martin ki_martin at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 11 14:09:03 EDT 2008

At 12:21 PM 7/26/2008, you wrote:
>Message: 1
>Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 21:13:28 GMT
>From: "cjmaness at juno.com" <cjmaness at juno.com>
>Subject: Re: [Market-farming] seed sources & sympathy
>To: market-farming at lists.ibiblio.org
>
>all of my cantaloupes have sunburned. We didn't do watermelons this
>year since the coyotes do more damage than its worth. We do southern
>peas too, and the squash/zucchini/cucumbers. Just wishing there was
>something to add to the mix.
>Carla
>Perkins,OK

Hi Carla,

This is kinda belated, but maybe it can still help you. We're in NE
Texas near Dallas and are experiencing the same scorching hot
temperatures you are. If you haven't tried vegetable amaranth as a
crop for hot weather you might consider it. It's considered a hot
weather spinach replacement. Small leaves work in a salad mix, that
is, if you can get lettuce to grow. In theory you can also grow it
out for the edible seeds. We also have successfully grown Malabar
spinach (requires a trellis) in summer too. Supposedly New Zealand
spinach will work well in the heat, but we had poor germination
results and moved on to another crop.

We've got chard growing now but it's extremely bitter due to the hot
weather. Anyone know for sure if it really outgrows the bitterness
when it cools off or should I pull it and re-seed?

Kim Martin
Barking Cat Farm
www.barkingcatfarm.com
barkingcatfarm at mindspring.com