[Market-farming] Blackberry and Raspberry Questions

Richard Robinson rrobinson at nasw.org
Tue Aug 12 16:06:57 EDT 2008

 On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 11:06:42 -0500, Michelle Johnson wrote:
> Did they mention how they control weed growth within the raspberry canes?  We
> moved our raspberries to our orchard to run in rows between our fruit trees,
> and no matter how much I weed and mulch, the grass roots continue to be a
> problem.  I don’t want to use landscape fabric that might inhibit new cane
> growth.  Any suggestions?

I've had good success with a heavy application of leaves. The canes grow right through them, but the grasses have much more trouble, especially if the canes are thick enough to shade the interior of the row. Leaves aren't so good against bindweed, which continues to be a problem for me.

 --
 Richard Robinson
 http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/