[Market-farming] Watering Tomatoes

Sharon and Steve shopkins at tdstelme.net
Fri Aug 1 18:05:52 EDT 2008

> how do you handle it?
>
> And what about feeding once fruit is coming along? Too late to feed?
> Or do they need it more than ever?
>
> Thanks
>
> -Allan in WV (where we are still waiting for the first real flush of
> ripe tomatoes)
At this place the tomatoes are in a greenhouse and are on a twice a day for
2 minutes watering system, homemade from black pvc pipe and short chapin
tubes. From day one (seeding) to whenever they or I am done, they get   200
ppm of 20-20-20 in all water ( at least till my injector busted a gut last
week).

On that program I will likely have half a dozen fruits with Blossom end rot,
which is at least partly ascribed to irregular watering. Splitting IMO has a
lot to do with variety and if I would throw out those useless "heirlooms"
that might be a thing of the past.

Probably key is to find varieties and develope systems that fit your
ambition and budget. The more things you can do to make tomatoes happy the
more salable fruit you will produce.

MAsteveINE