[Market-farming] Cold Frames vs Greenhouse

SHEILA PAYNE srp75 at msn.com
Thu Nov 29 18:16:59 EST 2007

I do basically the same thing. Germinate in the basement with lights and heat mats.  Then when transplanted into pots, transfer to the cold frame.  Flats are out on tables during the day, at night they are under the tables and the tables are covered with a couple layers of poly (the old beat up stuff that I saved).  I put a heat source under the tables.  It's still plenty cold at night in Colorado in the spring so I have to insulate well -- thus the tables and layers of plastic. Beth's tent system sounds intriguing though. A neat trick for a heat source is strings of C8 and C9 Christmas lights as the heat source.  They give off quite a bit of heat and the heat is distributed along the string of lights. Not sure they would work where the volume of the space they are heating is very large -- mine tends to be not too high or wide as I'm under the tables.

Sheila
Far Out Gardens
Boulder County Colorado