[Market-farming] Co-Ops

Richard Stewart rstewart at zoomtown.com
Tue Nov 27 08:25:57 EST 2007

Andy...

Ok, I understand the issues with that and what you are describing.

I guess what I was shooting for was a modified CSA, where no one had
to buy shares and could order as needed once a week and decrease the
carbon footprint.

I don't want to sell other people's products, just mine.

Let me try to describe it a bit more.

Right now my goal is to do a small scale test this year in my Aunt's
building in downtown Cincinnati.  She's a medical illustrator and her
building is fairly high end as far as tenants go.  In 2008 I'll have
two market days and this would be added to this schedule.

She is the "head" of the group that will be purchasing produce.

She knows has 12 condos lined up.  12 members. A couple singles, a
couple 3 to 5 person families, and the rest are all couples.  All
have completely different lifestyles.  All want to buy local some are
green conscious and others are not.

So, my aunt, she is the "head" of the group.  There would be 13
possible participants be weekly order.  This group receives 2 totes
per participant.  The totes cost 10.00 ea and are 7/8 bu.  Each is
numbered, in pairs 1 thru 13.  A 20.00 deposit is received for the
totes from the participants.

In spring the first seasonal harvest is ready and on the following
Sunday, a list goes out via email to the "head" of the group of
participants.  The email says these X number of items are available
for X number of dollars for X number of quantity.  The head
distributes the email either by electronic or paper.  The
participants reply with their orders to the head who then places a
single order.  That order is filled the following day fresh and taken
to a drop off site at the back of the building a check or cash is
exchanged. The next delivery will also have 13 containers in addition
to the money.  Repeat.

Now, this concept may have been repeated by someone or not.  I do not
know.  I am familiar with the co-ops you described, ordering from a
central location that acted as an umbrella for several distribution
networks.

This would be a sole supplier/grower, just as in a single source CSA.

The goal is to tackle several things.

1) More customer control over what they purchase (both in quantities
and type of food), which makes for a happier consumer.
2) No money changing hands prior to receipt of goods (with the
possible exception of a deposit).
3) No vacation losses for the customer.
4) Smaller carbon footprint depending on how the "head" person has
organized the CSA, especially if its a high density condo or
apartment complex.
5) More efficient than a FM because your time is spent picking and
hauling and not selling.  In theory at least.

Just some ideas I was kicking around.  I enjoy FMs in part because it
gives them an opportunity to TRULY know the farmer as well as your
customers.  I am simply looking for something in addition too my
schedule for next year.

I hope that better illustrates what I want to do.  I have about 12
ideas floating around in my hand including the development of 30+
acre hole in the ground and I am trying to bounce some of the smaller
ideas off people while I wait for the property to be returned to
something useable by the gravel company that out the mineral deposits.

Thank you for your time so far.  I really appreciate it.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1848