[Market-farming] Late garlic advice please

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Mon Nov 26 22:09:16 EST 2007

On Nov 26, 2007, at 7:39 PM, Beth Spaugh wrote:

> I have truly beautiful, huge seed garlic this year. It is my 5th year
> of
> saving garlic seed. I put off planting because the field was tile
> drained
> last Friday. I hoped there would be space to just go in and plant the
> garlic
> afterward, even if I had to skip the tile ridges. It is torn up enough
> that
> it really needs to be disked next spring before planting, and I even
> think
> I'll dig up the remaining perennial flowers then to make the field work
> easier/more uniform. Which leaves me with unplanted garlic. And the
> ground
> freezing. And no weed free spots other than the field.
>
> I see three options and would appreciate advice from those with any
> experience in these.
>
> 1. Plant them in the hoophouse right along the outside walls. There is
> some
> space I can free up there. I could plant enough for seed next year and
> maybe
> personal use.
> 2. Roll up the black landscape cloth that is on the south outside of
> the
> hoophouse and plant there. It is pure sand, but I do have 50 lbs of
> Fertrell
> fertilizer. Would be low pH in the sand probably. Have a little lime
> which
> might react some by spring.
> 3. See what lasts over winter and plant it in the spring, having then
> selected for long-storage.

If you have enough seed, why not try all three?

Then if the situation ever comes up again, you'll know what worked this
time. (And you could let the rest of us know. With the wildly erratic
weather, some years it's hard to get the stuff planted at the right
time.)

Sorry I have no other suggestions on this; I've never planted garlic in
a hoophouse, and have nothing remotely resembling pure sand. I have
spring-planted garlic, many years ago, and did indeed get small bulbs;
though I expect my management has changed in other ways also since
then.