[Market-farming] Co-Ops

Fellenz fellenz at fltg.net
Mon Nov 26 19:55:34 EST 2007

Hi Richard,

What you are describing is pretty common with non-perishable foods.
When we lived in the Cincinnati area and my kids were small, my wife ran
one for young mothers.  She ordered from a 7th Day Adventist Distributor
in Michigan.  We would get several copies of a catalog each month and
circulate the catalogs amongst the group and assemble an order.  On
order day, the truck would show up, the members would show up, the bulk
items would be divided and about 2 hours later it was all done.

For fresh produce, it will be tougher to balance supply and demand.
Unless your group is fairly large, the demand reasonably uniform and
with sufficient quantities to justify delivering stuff to your farm, you
may have difficulty finding growers interested in participating. I
worked with a nearby 300 member vegetables only CSA this season which
did special orders along the lines of the Co-op idea you have.   They
would let their members know when a special item (like strawberries,
raspberries, honey, blueberries) would be available, take orders and
then relay the order to the supplier.  In most cases, the CSA organizers
were also willing to pick-up at the farm.  The program seemed to work
fairly well for items that were offered only a few times through the
season.  I'm not sure how well it would work if every item offered
required a special order each week.  As an alternative, you could
consider a more conventional retail operation, buy in bulk from other
growers and sell retail at your stand  or through an email "special
order" type system.

Andy
www.FellenzFamilyFarm.com