[Market-farming] CSA start-up

Fellenz fellenz at fltg.net
Sun Nov 25 20:54:27 EST 2007

I'm in Central NY, zone 5-6,  and have two small CSAs.  One with ~50
members and the second with ~60 members.  The first offers 15, 23 and 30
week season options, the second has a 24 week season.  I offer two share
sizes, the small has 6-8 items/week and the large 8-12 items.  I shoot
for a season average of 7+ and 11 items/week.  The shares include both
fruit, mainly berries, melons and apples, and vegetables.   Herbs are
offered most weeks on a "take what you can use" basis.  More information
on the CSAs can be found on my website, www.FellenzFamilyFarm.com or on
LocalHarvest.org .

I hope that you have several years of market farming experience under
your belt as a CSA is more of a high-wire act than selling at farmers
markets or from a farm stand.

The other thing to consider is whether you can make any money with a
small CSA.  The number and variety of crops grown is usually more than
for farmers markets and if you only have a few shares, it is difficult
to cover your costs for growing a lot of different items.

Andy