[Market-farming] Farmers market fees

Beth Spaugh lists at rhomestead.com
Sat Nov 24 12:52:23 EST 2007

We started a new  market in a town of 25,000 this year. Membership was $35,
seasonal stall fees $10/week or $15/daily. Went 20 weeks, so $235 for one
10.x.10 stall. There were 6 of us. Most of the membership fees went to
insurance. We paid half our stall fees to the church whose yard we used. We
have about $300 left to start next year. Everything was done volunteer, and
as the manager I can say if it got much larger, I would need to be paid. We
had great media coverage, but that took time. We put posters up, and that
took time (though some of our customers also downloaded the poster and put
them up for us). One of the smaller vendors didn't pay for several weeks,
which I was OK with except the smallest vendor had paid ahead. I proposed
offering a $10/week season or 10 or 15% daily rate, and the one who didn't
pay said he would rather pay the flat rate in two installments. He did
better as the season progressed and expects to do better next year.  I am
going to offer the one who paid the full year a free year to make up for it
(maple syrup isn't a weekly purchase).

This was modeled on the other market I go to, which has as many as  32
vendors in the height of summer. It's fee schedule is the same.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead
Peru NY
http://rhomestead.com <http://rhomestead.com/>

~Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty.  Francis
Moore Lappe

  _____