[Market-farming] Farmers market fees

Home Grown Kansas! hgkansas at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 24 10:06:25 EST 2007

Like some of the others have said - it depends on the situation.

  Our Old Town Farmers' Market in Wichita charges $25 to register.  If you are a returning vendor you are charged a $10 re-registration fee if paid before a deadline, $25 if you miss the deadline.  We use a data base to track vendors and expenses - so there is set up time involved with each vendor for the season.

  The daily stall fee is $40/stall - 10' x 10' or 10' x 15'.  The price is reduced to $25/stall if you pay for 4 weeks in advance.  Stall fees are $20/stall if paid for 12 wks in advance - this would be twice per season.  $5 for an electrical hook up.

  The Old Town Farmers' Market has a Chef demonstration and music each week through out the season.  The market advertises on a local food radio program each Saturday morning, along with other media advertising.  Plus other special programs at market.

  The Market manager and assistant managers need to paid - they do a great job, they should be paid well.  Big advertising budget, garbage to be considered, rent for location each week $150, insurance, web site, data base maintenance and supplies.  The Old Town Farmers' Market is located in a special place and has a festive atmosphere.

  We are also started a mid-week market in the park of a near by town.  Less expenses - We charge $10/stall each week.  Fortunately we are able to piggy back the promotion of this market with the Old Town Market.

  The market it's self needs to be operated as a business.  Businesses need cash flow to operate and to be successful.  If the market is being managed properly, it should be a good experience for all who attend.

HERBKDR at aol.com wrote:
      I was just curious how much your market charges to set up.  Our market just doubled our entry fees and it seems a bit high to me.  We have a market with approximately 70 vendors selling at various times throughout the market season.  It's a great market but so are many others that don't charge as much.  We now have to pay $400 for two 10 x 10 tent spaces and it must be paid before January 1 or you cannot sell next season.  The daily set up fee, for the two spaces, is $40.

  I just think this sounds like a high price for the smaller farmer.  Do any of you pay an amount like this to sell at your farmers market?

  Karin