[Market-farming] Farmers market fees

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Sat Nov 24 09:31:07 EST 2007

$25 annually plus $5 per market.

However, this is a) a small market in a small town b) run entirely by
volunteer work, including manager's duties, which are spread out over
several members c) we don't usually put on music etc. d) we're open air
and thus have no expenses for keeping up a structure. (A pavilion would
be great. Unfortunately, there's no possible place to put one up that's
also close enough for those of our in-village customers who walk to
market. If there were such a place, I think we'd raise fees to spring
for one; we could probably get a New York State grant to cover some of
the cost.)

I think the questions are: where is the money going? do you think
you're getting your money's worth for it? can you make enough at that
market to justify the fees? do you have enough to sell that you can
make that extra amount, and if not can you raise that much to sell next
year? is there a cheaper market where you could also do as well,
without having to travel so much further that this will eat up the
difference?