[Market-farming] Farmers market fees

Willie McKemie mf at austinfarm.org
Sat Nov 24 09:03:08 EST 2007

On Sat, Nov 24, 2007 at 03:49:26AM -0500, HERBKDR at aol.com wrote:
> I was just curious how much your market charges to set up.  Our market  just

I agree with Sue.  "It depends."

Ideally, stall fees should be a fraction of sales, maybe 1% to 5%.  Of
course, that is not practical unless all your vendors are trustworthy.
I like to see some sort of gradation in stall fees rather than a flat
rate.  That encourages low volume, backyard gardener types; I think
they add a lot to the market.  And, it encourages low volume growers to
become higher volume growers rather than encouraging them to just stay
out of the market.

Judging from the size of your stall fees, I'm guessing this is your
market's situation: there is more demand for stall space than supply;
business is good; you can hope to sell more than $20K there in a
year; the market has paid management that is doing a good job of
promotion.  If all the above are true, I would judge your fees to be
appropriate.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime  173 days  9 hours 17 minutes