[Market-farming] wood for posts - Coppicing?

Allan Balliett aballiett at frontiernet.net
Thu Nov 15 12:46:41 EST 2007

>Many of the folks I work with who want to be compliant with the organic
>standards don't want to even approach the issue. They'd rather use something
>that isn't treated at all so that they don't ever have to deal with it. You
>put a post in for 15-20 years, you don't want rule changes to cause trouble.

It's nice to be safe, sure, but it's also nice to not neurotically
waste time and the money that time represents if the EPA has actually
fixed this problem. Moreover, many of the traditionally rot resistant
woods are no longer rot resistant in today's environment. Locust, for
example. (due to a relatively fungal invader that is almost
universal, at least it is around here.)

Thanks -Allan