[Market-farming] Managing ground between plastic mulch rows (was Rotor Tiller)

Theodore James Radovich theodore at hawaii.edu
Thu Nov 15 11:51:01 EST 2007

Aloha-

We've done some intercropping work with cowpea. I'll be curious to hear how your trial turns out. The only two caveats I can think of are:
1) Light competition- Sounds like you can mitigate potential nutrient and water competition issues, but some cowpea varieties are pretty aggressive viners that may crawl over some of your crops depending on the crop, timing, spacing etc. You may want to try multiple cowpea varieties, including semi-bush and bush types.
2) Traffic- I don't know how much traffic (foot or otherwise) the beans would be able to take, especially early on. If there isn't much traffic in the inter-row space, then this shouldn't be an issue.

Ted Radovich
Hawai'i