[Market-farming] Rotor Tiller

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Wed Nov 14 18:57:26 EST 2007

On Nov 13, 2007, at 7:45 PM, Bill Bradshaw wrote:

> I am needing a very small tiller. Maybe 32"-36" PTO tractor driven 3
> point hook up. We have large tillers but no small one. I can't find
> one located this side of Canada. And I have given up finding one not
> made in China. Or anything else for that matter.
> Anyway, ya'll have any thoughts, or suppliers? Thanks
> Bill_______________________________________________

Knew I saw one somewhere:

bdi machinery sales co.    [no caps, sic]
430 E Main St Macungie, PA 18062
800-808-0454, if in eastern and southern USA
800-605-7897 (Rosedale, IN) if in midwest and plains states

I have the 2006 catalogue, which lists rotovators as narrow as 36", and
spaders as narrow as 25", and a lot of other interesting looking stuff;
also multihead tillers mounted on a tool bar, to do several beds at one
time, with untilled areas left between. I have never ordered anything
from them.

I thought I had another catalogue listing assorted widths of
rotovators, but can't find it right now -- oh I think it was Market
Farm Implement, and I just found them online:

http://www.marketfarm.com/index.cfm

On Nov 14, 2007, at 5:33 AM, Willie McKemie wrote:

> In short, I don't yet know why anyone would want a tiller (or a disk)
> that is narrower than the tractor.

One thing some people use them for is to till beds narrower than the
tractor: strips are left between the beds in some sturdy cover crop, so
that the tractor weight is never on the beds themselves, and there
isn't any compaction on the beds.

I haven't been doing this, in part for lack of money to buy more
equipment; but it seems that it would be useful for a lot of vegetable
and berry crops.