[Market-farming] Cleaning plastic trellis net

Rosie Creek Farm rosie-ck at mosquitonet.com
Mon Nov 12 19:19:54 EST 2007

Pam Twin Oaks wrote:
> We used stakes and string to hold up cowpeas, limas, asparagus beans
> in the past. This year we used some Trellinet, I think it's called.
> White plastic 6" square holed netting. So - how do folks separate the
> dead vines and the trellis at the end of the season?? We did OK with
> the cucumber plants - they dried and shattered fairly easily. Now we
> have 3 pieces with various bean vines enmeshed. One is on the floor of
> the greenhouse for us to walk over and break up the vines. Another is
> tied in a bundle hanging from the purlins in the hoophouse to dry out.
> The third has been hanging over some T posts in the fresh air. It all
> seems very labor intensive. I hate to throw all the organic matter and
> the plastic in the trash. So what do other people do?
>
> Pam, Twin Oaks Community, Louisa, VA. where things are starting to
> slow down, just about.

We pull the vines off from our snap peas when they are still staked up.
We get 90 percent of them off and then roll them up with whatever debris
are still left. It's not worth the time to get them 100 percent free but
it would be impossible to store the trellis with most  of the debris
still on.  Yes it is labor intensive, but that's what we do every year
for about 4000 feet of trellis.  I either compost the vines or, if I
don't have the time to collect them (which is usually the case), I work
them in to the soil in the spring do decompose.

Mike Emers
Rosie Creek Farm
Ester, Alaska