[Market-farming] pressure treated organic?

Kate Halstead rockyprairie at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 12 12:38:53 EST 2007

Actually, it can be allowed in limited circumstances.

A certified organic grower here in Washington State uses treated posts to
support metal seedling racks in their greenhouse. With the blessing of the
state inspector, the treated posts are used as uprights supporting the
horizontal racks. The posts rest on cement blocks, which rest on weed mat
covering bare soil, and there is separation at the top (metal racks) from
the seeding trays ever touching the treated posts. Apparently, the practice
was permissible as long as the treated wood did not come in contact with
either soil or plant.

Kate

  _____