[Market-farming] What do you do in a crop loss situation?

Willie McKemie mf at austinfarm.org
Fri Jun 29 10:22:04 EDT 2007

On Sat, Jun 30, 2007 at 09:10:54AM -0400, Lucy Goodman wrote:

> I feel this is a slippery slope the board has entered into, allowing any
> reselling for any reason. On the one hand, reselling does mean that the
> products customers expect will be there. On the other hand, reselling
> can be badly abused. And this is an opportunity to educate farmers
> market customers about realities of farming-"we have no apples this week
> because of weather in April".

Well said, Lucy.

The reason for existence of farmers markets is to provide GROWERs
sales opportunities for their products.  Allowing reselling in real
farmers markets to alleviate perceived short term supply problems, or
for any other reason, only encourages customers to treat the markets as
grocery stores where they expect to find what they want, when they
want, without consideration of "localness".  Consumers should consider
farmers markets to be their source of local and fresh produce where
they can find and communicate with the growers of that produce.  ANY
reselling subverts that market ideal.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime  25 days  9 hours 38 minutes