[Market-farming] What do you do in a crop loss situation?

Lucy Goodman goodows at infinet.com
Sat Jun 30 09:10:54 EDT 2007

At he Saturday market I attend we have had this problem. This is a 100%
producer only market. The apple guy (who is 15 miles north of I-70 BTW)
at this market lost 70% of his apples (he will have late apples) and
100% of his peaches, blackberries, strawberries, plums and grapes. So
the market board decided he could buy and resell apples. So far he has
not done so, but he does have the option.

I feel this is a slippery slope the board has entered into, allowing any
reselling for any reason. On the one hand, reselling does mean that the
products customers expect will be there. On the other hand, reselling
can be badly abused. And this is an opportunity to educate farmers
market customers about realities of farming-"we have no apples this week
because of weather in April".

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Eco-Farm
Eaton, OH