[Market-farming] What do you do in a crop loss situation?

Brad Bergefurd bergefurd.1 at osu.edu
Thu Jun 28 14:30:34 EDT 2007

Hello!

Was wondering what Markets have done in the past when growing areas have
had weather related crop loss situations where the Markets only allow 100%
grower produced product to be sold? Do the customers just have to do
without the product for the season or are there rules or provisions in
place which allow product to be sold that was produced in neighboring
counties, from other production areas within the state, or out of state
produce to be sold to meet the customers demand?

For instance here in Ohio we have many farms with close to a total loss of
apples and peaches on many farms south of I 70 whereas farms north of I 70
were not hurt and have ample supply of product. However these northern
growers will not travel 3 to 4 hours to sell at these Markets that are
short on crop.

I would appreciate any information on how Markets have handled similar
situations.

Thanks for your help!

BRAD

Brad Bergefurd