[Market-farming] Farmers Market question

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Tue Jun 26 16:01:05 EDT 2007

On Jun 26, 2007, at 11:42 AM, Beth Spaugh wrote:

> We have two producer-only markets on private property with no
> government
> involvement. The ones on government property tend to be told to allow
> resellers, flea market types, etc, especially if they are
> friends/related to
> a politician. We pay rent, insurance, etc, but are pleased with the
> freedom.

We set up on village property (Main Street sidewalk, with our vehicles
in parking spaces by each stand) with the village's permission. They've
never tried to tell us how to set our market rules. We allow locally
grown or made only ("local" defined as our county and immediately
adjacent counties); you can bring up to 40% of other people's stuff but
it has to meet the same locally grown or made standard. As you have to
have 60% your own this keeps out resellers, but lets people bring
something from their neighbors who don't come to the market.

Our only other regular government involvement is the Farmers' Market
Nutrition Program coupons; this comes through NYState. Sometimes
Cooperative Extension will set up and hand out nutrition info and
samples; maybe once a season. And NYS Ag and Markets shows up once in a
while, like it or not; they send anonymous people in as customers, to
check whether what's for sale is legal according to the health laws,
and whether anyone's taking the FMNP coupons improperly.

We're organized as a cooperative. We collect fees to pay for insurance
and advertising. Duties are divided up among the membership; while some
people don't do anything but show up at market and pay their fees, so
far enough people have been willing to take on what needs to get done
so that we can function. Of course, we run things fairly simply, so
there's not as much to get done as some markets have.