[Market-farming] raccoon strategies

Nan Johnson nan at olemiss.edu
Mon Jun 25 18:48:03 EDT 2007

Please note that having a predator-proof chicken house for poultry to be
locked in at night will NOT necessarily protect your poultry from FOXES (at
least the ones in Mississippi!)

Before I got my Great Pyr dog, I lost many of my ducks to daytime fox
raids - I was usually at my off farm job but finally figured it out when I
saw a fox chase one of my ducks across the front yard on a Saturday morning.

BTW, my  two house dogs just kept lounging on the porch while this was
happening - guess it was like Saturday morning cartoons for the dogs!  That
is why I finally broke down and bought a Pyr.  My Pry also keeps a sharp eye
out for any overhead birds (hawks, etc.)

nan formerly of Dancing Goats Farm