[Market-farming] Farmers Market question

Wiediger, Alison alison.wiediger at hart.kyschools.us
Mon Jun 25 15:32:29 EDT 2007

________________________________

From: market-farming-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org on behalf of Lynn Wigglesworth
Sent: Mon 6/25/2007 11:06 AM
To: Market Farming
Subject: [Market-farming] Farmers Market question

What kind of community/local government support do other Farmers Markets
get?

Who finds the location for the market?

Who finds vendors?

 Who pays for signs, insurance, advertising?

Who organizes all of this?

>>>We did and still do - in our fourth season this year.  And, to be frank, if you  want a farmers' market that is for farmers, it is probably necessary.  Most government entities have no earthly idea how a FARMERS' market should function.  Our by-laws mandate a majority of farmers on the board.

What role does the local government, cooperative extension, farm agencies, etc.
play?

I'm curious about how it SHOULD work in areas that have good
community support.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm