[Market-farming] West Coast Tomato Weaving?

Shelly shelly at idlethyme.com
Thu Jun 21 14:56:16 EDT 2007

Okay, here is my version of the Florida weave....
place stakes between every two plants...so stake, tomato, tomato,
stake. I placed t-posts at each end of 100' rows in the hugh tunnel.
Then i placed my twine in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. I cut a hole
in the lid and ran the twine through a 3' length of PVC. Then tied
the twine off to the t-post starting at about 8". Then weave one side
of one tomato, the other side of the other then use the pvc as a
lever and wrap all the way around the stake once tightly, then around
one side of the tomato, the other side of the next tomato, then all
the way around the stake once. Do this to the end of the row, then go
tightly around the t-post at the end and start back down the row at
the same height only weaving the opposite side of the tomatoes so
they are held up between the strings. I did this about every 10 days
to two weeks as the plants grew and it held them quit nicely. Let me
know if this is not clear. Marie, send me your number off list and I
will call you. I am not done farming, just a hiatus to heal. Thanks
to all who encouraged me to stay on the list, it is a great way to
keep my feet dirty so to speak!
Shelly Montgomery
Idle Thyme Farm (currently idle)