[Market-farming] Garlic Curing and Storage

Jerry and Marienne kreitlow at cmgate.com
Mon Jun 18 23:02:26 EDT 2007

Ken,

I grow garlic in central Minnesota, and we. too, can be pretty humid
in July and August.  I have an insulated shed with a 10' ceiling
where I've installed a wire grid.  I run a dehumidifier and fans, and
can cure 15,000 - 20,000 bulbs in 2 to 3 weeks.  Our hardnecks have
been reported to store up to nine months (though one customer says
they're still using the Porcelains they bought last August), and I'm
still using softnecks from last year in own own kitchen.  So, I'm
assuming they've been well cured.   I don't cut the roots off for
curing, as some growers recommend.

So, I guess my point is that if you are fortunate enough to have a
space in which you can control humidity and airflow, curing time can
be greatly reduced, and it seems to produce a good-storing garlic.
There are other growers up here who are curing outside under shade,
and it does take them longer.  I don't know how well theirs stores,
though.

All the best,
Jerry Ford
Howard Lake, MN