[Market-farming] garlic scapes

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Fri Jun 15 08:51:06 EDT 2007

On Jun 15, 2007, at 8:29 AM, courtney mcleod wrote:

> Only .10 each????  I would not even bother for that.  I sell my garlic
> for
> $1.50/head and I am organic, although not certified.  I am sold out in
> 3
> weeks.  But I only have about 3300 heads, nothing like you by the
> sounds of
> the scapes!

Scapes generally cost a lot less than the ripe garlic bulbs. Remember
that you get the scapes as well as the bulbs, not instead of the bulbs;
and you want to take them off anyway, so the bulbs will get bigger, so
you have much of the labor even if you don't sell them at all; also a
single scape, from the customer's end, is more equivalent in use to a
clove than to a whole bulb. I sold mine last year, in a market
gradually getting used to the idea, at 1.00 / bunch, about 7 to 9 to a
bunch, held together with twisties. This year I think I'll try 1.50 /
bunch; last year they were finally starting to move, and this year I've
had a couple of people ask about them.

I got 1.50 each last year for the largest bulbs, 1.00 for the regular
size, 50¢ each for smalls and seconds. This is not a very high priced
market area.